Society of Rural Physicians of Canada - Société de la médecine rurale du Canada
Home Sitemap Contact Us
Communications The CJRM About the SRPC Our Resources Continuing Medical Education
Society of Rural Physicians of Canada
The SRPC CME/Locum Project
Arrangements for IMG's
Organizing an Australian Locum
Our Resources
Rural Canadian Locum ManualOverview

Is the prospect of going and practicing real medicine in another setting interesting? Are you interested in the rockies, the arctic, the prairies, old growth forests, farming or fishing communities? A rural Canadian locum experience may be for you. But how to turn a "Wouldn't it be nice" into reality?

This page is an overview of the process needed to get a rural locum position in Canada. By understanding the process you will be able to arrange for a locum with the least fuss.

Finding a Position
There are hundreds of rural locums available with diverse practice settings and skill requirements. The first step is finding your potential locum location(s). There are several sources that can help you find an area.
Physicians in Canada are are usually paid fee for service by the provincial governments which provides over 90% of the income for most practices. Only services not covered by the provincial schemes can be billed to the patient. Locums in Canada are usually paid a percentage of gross billings generated. An arrangement of 60% of Gross billings plus accommodation for the locum in the incumbent's residence is not uncommon. In any case this or other arrangements are usually determined by negotiation with the practice. Some provincial rural support schemes may offer guaranteed minimums and other incentives that help rural physicians attract locums.  These programs are listed in the regional pages and are summarized.

In Canada, each provincial and territorial government is responsible for licensing physicians to practice medicine within its boundaries. The governments of the provinces and territories have delegated this responsibility to medical licensing authorities. The medical licensing authorities may be called: licensing authority, college of physicians and surgeons, or medical board.

The SRPC is working with the licensing authorities towards developing a portable locum license. Alas, until this happens, you will likely have to apply for full licensure in whatever province they wish to practice. Luckily for most Canadian graduates, this is more headache than obstacle.

Are you an international medical graduate (IMG) without Canadian licensure? This requires some special arrangements. NOTE that the SRPC is not a placement agency and cannot help you with the details.

Are you a Canadian looking to locum elsewhere?  Why not consider Australia.
© Copyright 2009 The Society of Rural Physicians of Canada All Rights Reserved.
P. O. Box 893 | 269 Main Street | Shawville, QC | J0X 2Y0
Toll Free: 1-877-276-1949 | Fax: (819) 647-2485