The 28th Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course
2020 Conference theme: ‘Rural Physician Advocacy – How to Save the World in Your Spare Time’
Registration is open and early bird rates are in effect until November 30th.
Join us in the Nation's Capital at the SHAW CENTREClose to 200 sessions over 3 days, including small group sessions, hands-on workshops and Rural Critical Care modules. A family-friendly, with day care included, collegial atmosphere.
Ottawa, Ontario - April 23 - 25, 2020
What people have said about past R&R Conferences:
- Wide variety of topics with truly rural doctors doing the presenting.
- Very practical information for real world use!
- The contents covered all rural practice aspects and gave students plenty of hands-on working experiences and interaction with trainers.
- I love this course! I come every year to recharge and be reminded why I love rural medicine.
- Childcare availability and quality was excellent!
- So relevant and focused on rural practice.
"The rural aspect was highlighted. The keynote speakers were of high caliber. The social and family friendly events were of high quality and we enjoyed them very much. My favorite conference to date with regards to the social aspect and camaraderie and use of humor throughout! Exceedingly well-planned."
Anonymous Review from R&R 2019 in Halifax NS
Reduced rates for SRPC Members with priority for hands-on sessions.
Not a member yet? Join now, then register to get the discounted rate.
Join the SRPC Today
At a Glance Agenda - to come
Small Sessions - Hands-On Workshops
Once the schedule has been confirmed, we will contact all registered SRPC members regarding registration for these workshops.
Call for Abstracts Rural and Remote 2020
If you would like to suggest a topic, refer a colleague or let us know that you would like to be considered as a speaker at the R&R 2020 event
REGISTER YOUR ABSTRACT
Discounted hotel room rates - check in as early as March 30th and check out as late as April 10th at your choice at these two locations. Reservations online must be made prior to March 22nd, 2020. After March 22nd please call the hotel directly.
Fairmont Château LaurierNovotel Ottawa City Centre
(4 min walk to Shaw Centre) Room rates start at $229
1 Rideau Street
Ottawa ON K1N 8S7
Online Booking Here
Book by phone at 1-800-441-1414 (Booking code SRPC0420)
(6 min walk to Shaw Centre) Room rates start at $189
33 Nicholas Street
Ottawa ON K1N 9M7
Online Booking here
Book by phone at 1-855-677-3033 (Booking code 739454)
Book online and use discount code JZ9VHFA1.
- The booking is to be made to the following city: Ottawa, YOW (ON)
- The travel period begins Monday, April 13, 2020 and ends Saturday, May 02, 2020.
- No discount will apply to Tango bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S. For International travel (destinations outside North America), discounts apply to all fares including Tango.
Book online and use discount code Q54YU10.
Offer: 5% off Econo* and 10% off EconoFlex and Premium fares for travel within Canada and 2% off Econo*, 5% off EconoFlex and 10% off Premium base fares for guests travelling Trans-border into and out of Ottawa.
Book online and use discount code MEDI20.
A 10% discount on available base fares (with the exception of the lowest class fare during a public seat sale) for travel to and from the The 28th Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course. The discounted fares and promo code are available for booking flights starting Oct 21, 2019 to Apr 25, 2020 and available for travel to and from anywhere in Canada or US to Ottawa.
Dates of Travel: From Apr. 20, 2020 to Apr. 26, 2020
Book online and use discount code 13995.
- VALID: April 13th 2020 to April 29th 2020
- From all stations throughout the VIA system to Ottawa and return.
- Fare applies to a maximum of two passengers per booking.
- One complimentary stopover is allowed at no additional charge.
- For travel on all fare plans in Business class, the first stopover is allowed at no additional charge, provided that this stopover takes place in Toronto, Montréal or Ottawa only.
- 10% off the best available fare in Economy, Economy Plus, Business, Business Plus, Sleeper class. "Subject to the conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional discount is being applied."
- Discount does not apply in any Escape fares and Prestige Class.
From Ottawa International Airport (YOW) you have a few options to get down town.
Bus : $3.50, 25 minute ride + 7-10 min walk
Private transportation/Taxi : approx $30.00
Making R&R a family trip or a couples getaway? Start planning now. Show your conference badge to any of the participating businesses and receive VIP offers designed exclusively for attendees and their companions. Discover Ottawa and surrounding areas.
Add On Courses
The following add on courses are being offered pre/post conference.
AIME - The Airway Interventions and Management in Emergencies
Tues. April 21st or Wed. April 22nd (1 day course)
Register for AIME
OASIS - Ottawa Anesthesia Skills Integration and Simulation for Family Practice Anesthetists
Sun. April 26th (1 day course)
Register for OASIS
- CASTED - The ‘Hands-on’ ED Orthopedic Course
Tues. April 21st and Wed. April 22nd (2 day course)
Register for CASTED
- Details for ACLS, LEAP Mini, SCORE and an Ultra Sound course coming soon.
*Registration for add on courses are managed by the course provider.
Cancellation policy are set by them.
*Prices include HST. Regular rate tickets help us reduce costs for students & residents.
All events are family friendly.
Mix & Mingle Reception - All Are Welcome
Join us for a family friendly event to get acquainted and meet up with old friends. Guests will enjoy a memorable evening with peers and other delegates over good food, fine wine, entertainment and children’s activities.
Hockey Night in the Capital - $25.00
East vs. West - a friendly game of shinny. Pack your skates and helmet and we'll bring the sticks and jerseys. Ice is rented for 1 hour at 9:30pm at the uOttawa Minto Sports Complex. (810 King Edward Ave.)
Roam the City at your Leisure
A PDF guide will be posted soon that highlights Ottawa's Attractions. We hope that you will make plans with friends and don't forget to "Flash your Badge" for discounts around the city.
Awards Dinner: Regular Rate $129.95 - Student/Resident Rate $50.85
A delicious sit down meal in the elegant Shaw Centre Trillium Ballroom overlooking downtown Ottawa. An evening to recognize rural contributions made our peers. *Make sure to review the criteria and submit your nominations. Details here
Jam Session: All are Welcome
Join us after the awards dinner for our very own jam session. Bring your instruments and singing voice.
Wrap Up Party: Regular rate $124.30 - Student/Resident rate $62.15
Join us for a family-style dinner followed by entertainment and dancing at allsaints. A building of national historic significance, allsaints represents the dedication and investment of congregations for over a century. Once inside, you'll enjoy cathedral ceilings and beautifully stained glass windows.
if you are interested in the free childcare services please add their names to the your registration. They can also be registered by sending an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include their name/age/allergies and provide contact name and cellphone number.
We are happy to add your non medical partner to your registration ($125) so they can join you for meals, plenaries and general interest sessions. If your partner is an allied health professional we ask that they join as an SRPC Associate Member and register on their own. (Same rate as the students.)
- Please visit our SRPC Family/Partner Page
- Childcare : Free on site during conference hours
- Non Medical Partner : Registration $141.25
Awards & Essay/Poster Contest
The SRPC feels it is important to provide recognition to persons or organizations that have made a significant contribution to rural medicine in Canada. Awards will be presented at the Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course Awards ceremony the evening of Friday, April 24th, 2020.
Visit our awards page for all the information needed to prepare your nominations. All applications must be received by Friday, January 31, 2020.
Exception: RSA, RLSA, FRRMS, Lifetime. Members MUST be registered for the conference no later than Sunday March 1st to be eligible.
- Poster proposals must include a clear research purpose, objectives, methodology, summary of the research results and conclusion. Posters will be judged on rural relevance, research methodology, impact, clarity of presentation and ability to answer questions regarding your research. Posters are restricted to a width of 4 feet and height of 3 feet.
- Deadline for submission is January 07, 2020
- Students and residents will each have the opportunity of being awarded for the best student/resident research poster. Winners will win the equivalent of $500 credited towards attending the conference. [More info online]
Print Essay/Poster contest flyer
Each year the Nominations and Awards Committee hosts a rural essay contest for medical students and residents. The winners' essay will also be considered for publication in the CJRM.
- Students and Residents must be a member of the SRPC
- Essay should be between 500-1000 words.
- Deadline is Dec 31st 2019
- Prize: $500 (students) and $1000 (residents)
- Student: Non-fiction essay with rural elective theme.
- Residents: Non-fiction essay about rural experience.
- To apply: Forward your essay to email@example.com
[More info online]
Exhibitors and Sponsors
Exhibitors and Sponsors can register online.
For more information or if you have questions, please contact Louise Ardern.
All event cancellations must be made in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Refund (less $75 admin fee) will be granted if notification is received by March 4th.
- 50% refund will be granted for cancellations made between March 5th and March 21st OR Full amount (less $75 admin fee) as credit on your account to be used on future invoices. (event, membership or donations)
- Refunds will not be granted after March 21st. Full amount (less $75 admin fee) as credit on your account to be used on future invoices. (event, membership or donations)
- Deposits are non refundable but are transferable to SRPC Membership or Donations
- Social tickets are non refundable but may be donated to a student or resident.
- Pending registrations are considered as "planning to attend" or "Pay Later". Please inform us as soon as possible if your plans have changed and if you are no longer able to attend and we will cancel your registration.